Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What do I have to give?


The Bible story that has most impacted my life in recent years is the story of Jesus feeding of the 5000. During our ten years in Mozambique, that story repeatedly encouraged me as we faced overwhelming challenges at times. Jesus never expected the disciples to solve the problem facing them that day. He just wanted them to give what they had. He wanted them to make themselves available to Him. He wanted them to trust in Him. What was the little boy's lunch in the face of such great need? It was next to nothing. But in the hands of Jesus, it was more than sufficient. Jesus blessed the little lunch, and there was more than enough food to feed that huge multitude. That story tells me that what God wants of me is that I give my best, that I give my all, that I give what I have. God will take those efforts and bless them to accomplish His purposes. That is what encourages me to work on translating the Bible for children and early readers. I pray that God will take The B-I-B-L-E and bless it to help children grow to know Him better and better. I pray that children will become more and more like Jesus. I pray that God will help children make good choices and resist wrong. I pray that God will bless families and help them be strong together.

No comments: